Thursday, June 7, 2012

[Review] Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Description
Title: Pride and Prejudice
Author: Jane Austen
Pages: 480
Series: //
Publisher: Penguin Classics
Date of Publication: December 31st, 2002 (first published in 1813)
ISBN13: 9780141439518
Source: Bought
Synopsis: (from Goodreads)
Vanity, not love, has been my folly.

When Elizabeth Bennet first meets eligible bachelor Fitzwilliam Darcy, she thinks him arrogant and conceited, while he struggles to remain indifferent to her good looks and lively mind. When she later discovers that Darcy has involved himself in the troubled relationship between his friend Bingley and her beloved sister Jane, she is determined to dislike him more than ever. In the sparkling comedy of manners that follows, Jane Austen shows the folly of judging by first impressions and superbly evokes the friendships, gossip and snobberies of provincial middle-class life.


My Thoughts
It is a difficult thing; reviewing a classic such as Pride and Prejudice. Unlike many others I never read this book in school. I bought a copy about five years ago (when I was 15) nonetheless, but I couldn't pull through. The language was too much for me, never mind the fact that my English was seriously lacking. But I decided to give it another try. My English and my resolve to finish it have both improved tremendously. 

Personally, I am of the opinion that you either like Classics or you don't. Reviewing it on plot points and character development has been done to no end and I'm sure you will be able to find countless reviews if that's what you're looking for. I am going to write down my personal experience with this book.

It starts when Mrs Bennet finds out that the grand house Netherfield is rented to Mr Bingley, a rich young and unmarried (!) man and as she has five unmarried daughters, she of course strives to marry one to him. However, the Bennet family belongs to the middle class and doesn't have money, connection or special virtue. In fact, most of the family borders and what is called "vulgar" but what would be called asocial in the bad way today, I believe.

There were no passages in the book that I found particularly bad to get through, because I think Austen's talent lies deep within the small passages between the dialogue, where she reveals Elizabeth's thoughts and attitude. I know a lot of other readers skip these passages, because in most book today they're little more than padding. But this is not the case with Austen books! If you want to understand and enjoy her works you simply must read every single word she put on paper. 

Classics are always a good way to go, and you should go read this one. It's free on Project Gutenberg, and I believe on Amazon as well. Why not give it a try?

 Rating 
But it here
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not accept awards! I'm incredibly busy with college, blogging and reading, I just don't have the time to pass them around. But I'm happy you thought of me!