Thursday, May 31, 2012

[Review] Rage by Jackie Morse Kessler

Description

Title: Rage
Author: Jackie Morse Kessler
Pages: 213
Series: Riders of the Apocalypse #2
Publisher: Graphia Books
Date of Publication: April 4th, 2011
ISBN13: 9780547445281
Source: Bought
Synopsis: (from Goodreads)
Missy didn’t mean to cut so deep. But after the party where she was humiliated in front of practically everyone in school, who could blame her for wanting some comfort? Sure, most people don’t find comfort in the touch of a razor blade, but Missy always was . . . different. That’s why she was chosen to become one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse: War. Now Missy wields a new kind of blade—a big, brutal sword that can cut down anyone and anything in her path. But it’s with this weapon in her hand that Missy learns something that could help her triumph over her own pain: control. A unique approach to the topic of self-mutilation, Rage is the story of a young woman who discovers her own power and refuses to be defeated by the world.

Riders of the Apocalypse
1. Hunger
2. Rage
3. Loss
4. Breath

My Thoughts 
I started reading this book as a breather in between two books of a giant series. It was much needed, especially since I was expecting a lot from Rage as I liked Hunger quite a lot. Rage did most definitely not disappoint me. It gripped me right from the start, since I have a soft spot in my heart for bullied people. I was bullied for the better part of my school years, and I know it as true torture. I have never turned to self harm, but I know that it wouldn't have been entirely impossible.

I was very invested in Missy and truly and honestly wanted to see her succeed. Also I wanted to see her punch Adam's teeth in even though I don't actually have one single violent bone in my body. Some people just have it coming. 

Anyway, Kessler excels at describing the struggles a teenage girl might have to deal with. She is able to portray every emotion as gut-wrenchingly real. Still, in my opinion Missy is able to overcome her troubles too easily. Overcoming self doubt and withstanding bullies is not done in a single weekend, believe me. That is the main issue I had with this book. Yes, it is most likely supposed to send some form of hope. But becoming a stronger person is not easy, and trying to deal with bullies is even harder. I wish Kessler would have covered a bigger time span in this novel. If that had been the case, I would gladly have awarded Rage with a full rating.
Rating 
But it here

2 comments:

  1. This series is already on my wishlist - I love the idea of the Four Apocalypse Horsemen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it! I got into it for the exact same reason. I don't think I have ever read books about the Horsemen. :-)

      Delete

I do not accept awards! I'm incredibly busy with college, blogging and reading, I just don't have the time to pass them around. But I'm happy you thought of me!