Thursday, May 24, 2012

[Review] The Girl in the Clockwork Collar by Kady Cross

Description
Title: The Girl in the Clockwork Collar
Author: Kady Cross | Twitter
Pages: 416
Series: Steampunk Chronicles #2
Publisher: Harlequin
Date of Publication: May 22nd, 2012
ISBN13: 9780373210534
Source: NetGalley
Format: Kindle
Synopsis: (from Goodreads)
In New York City, 1897, life has never been more thrilling - or dangerous. Sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne and her "straynge band of mysfits" have journeyed from London to America to rescue their friend Jasper, hauled off by bounty hunters. But Jasper is in the clutches of a devious former friend demanding a trade-the dangerous device Jasper stole from him...for the life of the girl Jasper loves. One false move from Jasper and the strange clockwork collar around Mei's neck tightens. And tightens.

Steampunk Chronicles
0.5. The Strange Case of Finley Jayne (Link)
2. The Girl in the Clockwork Collar


My Thoughts 
Even though I loved The Girl in the Steel Corset so much, I was extremely hesitant to start this one. Maybe I was afraid of disappointment, since I was a little dubious whether Cross would be able to pull me in like that a second time. I needn't have worried.

The book starts off strong, with a scene of Finley and Griffin flying above New York. If you have read my review of the first installment in this series, you know that while I like Griffin (because let's be honest: Who wouldn't like him?) I preferred Jack Dandy quite a lot. Sadly, he is only mentioned briefly once and doesn't make an appearance. I feel that Cross sought to replace him with someone equally alluring, because it's obvious that with the crew in New York there was no legit way to get Dandy there as well. Still, I missed Dandy a lot since he was a possible second route for Finley. With him out of the picture at such an important time ... well, the decision was obvious.

The plot was strong and I detected no holes as far as casual reading goes. Most characters were likeable/despisable (?) enough. However, I feel that Steampunk is connected with Victorian England and it would be quite a feat to completely remove it from that setting without losing Steampunk. It wasn't completely lost in this case, because as much as they deny it American and English culture was not that different back then. Personally I am of the opinion though that this book would have worked better, had it been set in London as well. There were also quite a few words that weren't in existence then and while this book doesn't need to be written in 19th century English, some words should be avoided in my opinion.

In the first book, I didn't particularly care about Jasper Renn. He was kind of just there. This book did a lot to change my opinion. When I first read that The Girl in the Clockwork Collar would me more or less centered around Renn's problems, I was unsure whether I should read it. It worked out well and was much more interesting than I could have thought! So, if you didn't get on with Jasper in the first book, this still might be for you. Cross has an ability to make you like characters, even if you don't really want to.
Rating
But it here
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not accept awards! I'm incredibly busy with college, blogging and reading, I just don't have the time to pass them around. But I'm happy you thought of me!