Thursday, April 12, 2012

[Review] Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder

Description

Title: Inside Out
Author: Maria V. Snyder
Pages: 315
Series: Insider #1
Publisher: Harlequin
Date of Publication: April 1st, 2010
ISBN13: 9780373210060
Source: Bought
Synopsis: (from Goodreads)
Keep Your Head Down. Don't Get Noticed. Or Else. I'm Trella. I'm a scrub. A nobody. One of thousands who work the lower levels, keeping Inside clean for the Uppers. I've got one friend, do my job and try to avoid the Pop Cops. So what if I occasionally use the pipes to sneak around the Upper levels? The only neck at risk is my own…until I accidentally start a rebellion and become the go-to girl to lead a revolution.


Insider Series
1. Inside Out 
2. Outside In


My Thoughts
I'm going to start by explaining the setting a little. Trella is a scrub, like it says in the blurb. Scrubs are living in the lower Levels, and thus could be referred to as "Lowers". They do all the manual labor, cleaning pipes, cooking, waste handling, maintenance, and so on. When a baby is born in the lower levels, its parents hand it over to the Care facility, where a Care Mother will take care of it along with nine other children. The Care Mother chooses the name, the profession and is in charge of the education of "her" children. 

Trella is small of stature, so her Care Mother chose "cleaning pipes" as Trella's profession. She has to robb through air vents to get rid of clogs and such. It suits Trella just fine, since she's a bit of a loner and hates every Scrub except for her best friend Cog, who's nice to everyone and who she grew up with (they were raised by the same Care Mother). Now, enter a man who claims to be from the Upper Levels, calls himself Broken Man and preaches about the ominous Gateway, which may or not exist. But if it does, it is said to be a way out of Inside. Trella doesn't really believe him, but sets out to find something Broken Man needs anyway ...

I liked Inside Out. A well crafted world, characters that are likeable enough, and everything is most certainly not like it seems. Inside is a police state, more or less, ruled by an Upper family which overthrew the other families years (or centiweeks, as it's called in Inside-speak) ago. There is action, it kept me on the tips of my toes, and especially the revelation about Gateway is somehow very heart breaking in my opinion.

However, I can't award Inside Out five stars for the simple reason that I felt the beginning was too slow. I put the book aside for a while, and only returned to it two weeks later. Granted, I finished it in one sitting, but still. Also, the plot involved a lot of luck and chance in my opinion - and I can't say whether that was intended or whether Snyder just didn't know how else to resolve it.

Rating 


But it here

6 comments:

  1. Great Review! I just finished this one and I totally agree with you. It was an amazing book, but it took a while to get into it. Can't wait to read the second book though :)

    I'm a new follower!

    Rabiah
    Confessions of a Readaholic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I always hate when that happens. I'm not quite sure whether it's the editing or me personally when I can't get into book fast enough.

      Followed a while ago as well! :)

      Delete
  2. Great review! I have this on my TBR list - it sounds like it would be an interesting read! Great to hear that you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, I definitely found it interesting. I liked all the differences from the "usual" dystopian so I hope you will, too, if you get around to it at some point.

      Delete
  3. I have this one sat in my to-read pile. Picked it up in a sale at the library and haven't got round to it yet! Will have to move it up the pile after reading your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moving it up sounds good! I wish I could read the second book already, but I have so many galleys that I need to read before they expire that I really can't spare a second right now. :-(

      Delete

I do not accept awards! I'm incredibly busy with college, blogging and reading, I just don't have the time to pass them around. But I'm happy you thought of me!