Thursday, March 1, 2012

[Review] Goddess Interrupted by Aimee Carter

Description

Title: Goddess Interrupted
Author: Aimee Carter
Pages: 304
Series: Goddess Test #2
Publisher: Harlequin
Date of Publication: March 27th, 2012
ISBN13: 9780373210459
Source: NetGalley 
Synopsis: (from Goodreads)

Kate Winters has won immortality. But if she wants a life in the Underworld with Henry, she’ll have to fight for it. Becoming immortal wasn’t supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she’s as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he’s becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate’s coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans. As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future. Henry’s first wife, Persephone.
 Goddess Test Series
2. Goddess Interrupted
3. The Goddess Inheritance



My Thoughts
Goddess Interrupted basically starts six months after The Goddess Test ended. Kate has spent her summer with James (Hermes) in Greece, enjoying life. Then comes the autumn, and she is supposed to go back to the Underworld to be with Henry (Hades). I'm putting the “real” names of the Gods here, because I kept forgetting who was who. (And quite honestly, most people managed the names in Percy Jackson perfectly well. Then again, Carter might not have wanted the comparison). The second she arrives, she has some sort of vision and sees Calliope (Hera) not in her supposed location. Some chaos ensues, and Kate finds out that Calliope has been trying to wake Cronus, a Titan who is the Lord of Time (although that was never really an issue, in fact, it wasn't mentioned at all) and he can kill Gods. 

So far so good, actually. I really liked it. I've been into Greek mythology for as long as I can remember, and even though I have been seeing not so great reviews for The Goddess Test, I'm not going to change my opinions. Not everyone can be pleased all the time, right? 
Anyway, in my honest opinion, Kate is quite whiny. She keeps going on and on about she's in Persephone's shadows, and she's right. But she's doing anything against it either. It's like she's sitting at a bus stop and starts to cry when the bus leaves without her - but she never actually tried getting into the bus. (Worst metaphor ever!)

I was about to give this book 3.5 stars when I had read a little over half of the novel, simply because nobody actually talked about their feelings. It was frustrating. They kept assuming (wrong assumptions) stuff and that was that. I can't say that I don't understand Kate's doubts. Henry wasn't very straightforward about anything at all. But I can hardly blame him and neither should Kate. Yes, she's basically still somewhat of a teenager, immortal or otherwise. But that doesn't give her the right to question basically everything. Apparently, she can't understand that Henry might have changed in the thousand years he spent alone, that he might have developed some sort of self hate. Kate realizes the last part in the end, and I truly wonder what took her so long.

What did, however, change my mind was the scene between Henry and Kate closer to the end (about 80 % in I'd say). Kate is finally honest about her feelings, about what she needs to stay in the Underworld with him, and I think Henry is quite shocked. It's not shown in so many words. But it was there, in the subtext. Which means that Henry is either dumb or completely blind (or a  mixture of both). It was a very emotional scene and I was on the verge of crying (then again, I cry ridiculously easy). 

Oh, and one thing I want to adress: People have been calling Persephone a whore because she cheated on Henry multiple times. Um, hello? Let's do some math. If someone slept with 50 people in 80 years, that would likely be above average, but not that much. Let's say, this person is so unhappy in their marriage, that all they want is to escape any thoughts of it. But they still want to be loved, so they search for lovers. I think it's not unlikely that such a person would sleep with 50 people in 80 years. But Persephone was thousands of years old. Obviously, she could have slept with, hell, 10.000 people in that time! And it would still be the same quota like I just explained above. Persephone is not a whore in my opinion. She's quite selfish and most likely a pain to be around, but I would not call her a whore. She did the best with what she had, until she realized divorce might be a better option.

So, last but not least: What the --! Miss Aimee Carter, if you ever leave us with a Cliffhanger like that again, I'm going to guy a plane ticket, cross the ocean that is seperating us and hunt you down! Honestly! You can't just leave it like that! Hello? I did not see that coming, really. I saw it coming a mile away that Cronus would not kill Kate, but THAT? Sorry, that's just - I mean it - there are no words for it. Over and out. 

Rating

Buy it here

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I really cannot wait to read this even more now!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you get around to reading it yet? Sorry for the late reply. I only just figured out there was a reply-function! Technology noob that I am ... :-)

      Delete

I do not accept awards! I'm incredibly busy with college, blogging and reading, I just don't have the time to pass them around. But I'm happy you thought of me!