Thursday, February 9, 2012

[Review] Falling Under by Gwen Hayes



Description

Title: Falling Under
Author: Gwen Hayes
Pages: 324
Series: Falling Under #1
Publisher: New American Library
Date of Publication: March 1st, 2011
Source: RAK from Patricia
Synopsis: (from Goodreads)
Theia Alderson has always led a sheltered life in the small California town of Serendipity Falls. But when a devastatingly handsome boy appears in the halls of her school, Theia knows she's seen Haden before- not around town, but in her dreams. As the Haden of both the night and the day beckons her closer one moment and pushes her away the next, the only thing Theia knows for sure is that the incredible pull she feels towards him is stronger than her fear. And when she discovers what Haden truly is, Theia's not sure if she wants to resist him, even if the cost is her soul.
Falling Under Series 
1. Falling Under
2. Dreaming Awake


My Thoughts
Anyone who follows my status updates on Goodreads (or Twitter) should probably know that I was more than annoyed with this book. It isn't even the plot - which is unique enough, considering many books follow the beaten path of: girl meets boy, girl loves boy more than the world and vice versa, something terrible happens that threatens to destroy the relationship, they overcome it, the end. Falling Under is a little bit differen in that regard.

But! And this is a pretty big but: It's very Twilight-y. Starting with an old dude in a teenagers body, the shy/unknown girl who is of course utterly gorgeous, symapthetic side kicks, Haden calling Theia his "lamb" and when he's questioning whether he has a soul ... I just really couldn't get into it. Maybe I'm just extremely prejudiced when it comes to Twilight. Don't get me wrong, when it was released here in Germany, I breathed those books. I even read the third and fourth books in English, which was a grand thing for me then. But since then I've learned to spot the faults in the books and I just can't overlook them in other books. 

The similarities are subtle enough, at that. One thing that gets me all the time (maybe it's a pet peeve in development?) is when two people fall in love at first sight and would immediately die for each other, or take each other's place in hell. I just don't believe in that kind of love. Maybe I'm unromantic, but I think it's unrealistic, let alone healthy! Is this what we want young girls to believe? That it's okay if you can't live without your boyfriend, that - in fact - you need a boyfriend to live? We should encourage girls to be strong and independent and not resort to long since abandoned preconceptions.

So, that's where my two star rating comes from. I couldn't wait to finally finish this book so that I could move on to other things. And as much as it resembles Twilight, the only worse book in that way I can think of right now is apparently Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon, which seems like a complete rip-off judging be the reviews.

Rating


Buy it here

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not accept awards! I'm incredibly busy with college, blogging and reading, I just don't have the time to pass them around. But I'm happy you thought of me!