Thursday, January 26, 2012

[Review] Bumped by Megan McCafferty

Description

Title: Bumped
Author: Megan McCafferty
Pages: 323
Series: Bumped #1
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Date of Publication: April 26th, 2011
Source: Bought
Synopsis: (from Goodreads)

When a virus makes everyone over the age of eighteen infertile, would-be parents pay teen girls to conceive and give birth to their children, making teens the most prized members of society. Girls sport fake baby bumps and the school cafeteria stocks folic-acid-infused food. Sixteen-year-old identical twins Melody and Harmony were separated at birth and have never met until the day Harmony shows up on Melody’s doorstep. Up to now, the twins have followed completely opposite paths. Melody has scored an enviable conception contract with a couple called the Jaydens. While they are searching for the perfect partner for Melody to bump with, she is fighting her attraction to her best friend, Zen, who is way too short for the job. Harmony has spent her whole life in Goodside, a religious community, preparing to be a wife and mother. She believes her calling is to convince Melody that pregging for profit is a sin. But Harmony has secrets of her own that she is running from. When Melody is finally matched with the world-famous, genetically flawless Jondoe, both girls’ lives are changed forever. A case of mistaken identity takes them on a journey neither could have ever imagined, one that makes Melody and Harmony realize they have so much more than just DNA in common.


Bumped Series
1. Bumped
2. Thumped



My Thoughts
So, this book is basically a big WTF. That's what I wanted to write last night when I wasn't sure about the rating yet. Now I am however, and I have to retract that statement somewhat - although the core message remains. 

Obviously this means that Bumped had huge problems - likeable characters were far and in between, the plot was holey at best, and so on. My biggest problem was with the way the characters behaved. Sure, they are sixteen and bound to do some dumb things. However some things were beyond dumb. Why the hell didn't Harmony just tell Jondoe that she wasn't Melody? Everyone can see that the religion-freak she is has to be the twin sister of the self proclaimed pretty, smart and social girl Melody. In fact, someone who is religious might as well stay away from this book I imagine. 

You have to know that I am not religious. I'm not quite sure whether I'm an atheist. Maybe I just don't care either way. This makes the chapters told from Harmony's point of view rather hard to read for me. I just roll my eyes at her prayers and think to myself: Girl, praying not to contract a virus will NOT save you from it! Maybe someone with faith has less problems with that, but for me it was just ... no. In the end, I kept skipping her chapters because most of what Harmony does is compare people (Jondoe) to Jesus, pray and pray some more.

Melody was the same in a way. She doesn't do anything, just accepts everything as a fact. Oh, Harmony tricked her out of her contract? Nothing she can do about that. Ventura wins the vote? I'm just not going to check my messages, that will make it go away for sure. Zen says I love you? Let's just run away. Exasperating at best, a reason to make this book a DNF (Did-Not-Finish) at worst. So yeah ... decide for yourself if you want to read it. I read it, because I liked the blurb and the general topic. It was not executed well, however. I cannot recommend this read.


Rating


Buy it here

2 comments:

  1. wow... i was actually really excited to read this!! Its on my TBR list, but i dont see why you didnt like it :( Great review though! i know how hard it feels to write a review about a book you didnt enjoy!

    Farah @MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, my thoughts exactly when I read the book last year.
    BTW love your rating system - really cute!!

    ReplyDelete

I do not accept awards! I'm incredibly busy with college, blogging and reading, I just don't have the time to pass them around. But I'm happy you thought of me!