Thursday, December 15, 2011

[Review] Dead Rules by Randy Russell




Description

Title: Dead Rules
Author: Randy Russell
Pages:  384
Series:  // (Although I presume there will be a sequel at least)
Publisher:  Harper Teen
Date of Publication:  June 21st, 2011
Source:  Bought
Synopsis: (from Goodreads)
Jana Webster and Michael Haynes were in love. They were destined to be together forever. But Jana's destiny was fatally flawed. And now she's in Dead School, where Mars Dreamcote lurks in the back of the classroom, with his beguiling blue eyes, mysterious smile, and irresistibly warm touch. Michael and Jana were incomplete without each other. There was no room for Mars in Jana's life—or death—story. Jana was sure Michael would rush to her side soon. But things aren't going according to Jana's plan. So Jana decides to do whatever it takes to make her dreams come true—no matter what rules she has to break.
My Thoughts

So, usually it's a bad thing when a man writes a novel in the point of view of a girl. Sadly, this book is no exception. I think Russell probably fed every stereotype there is to a teenage girl with a boyfriend. I found Jana to be flat and very easy to predict.

Michael was the stereotype of a boyfriend that fathers usually see in every boy on the street. Ultimately, he will hurt the girl. Maybe not just like in this book, but he will hurt her nonetheless. 

The girl (Jana) of course also falls for the hot guy she meets at the new place. She also is rather happy (or at least not reluctant) to accept that she is dead, which is not what a teenage girl would usually do in my opinion.

I still liked some parts of it. I finished it after all, which is where the 2 star rating comes from. But still, there were few points in the novel which I thoroughly enjoyed. And most of those were with Wyatt present, who - to me - seems to be the only character that is properly developed. 

In theory I like the idea of Dead School. But I had no sense for Jana's surroundings. In my head she was always acting in a bland white room with no furniture or anything at all really. Everything was rather hard to get a goot look at, I think the book was seriously lacking some description. In fact, I'm sure it would have pulled the book up to maybe even four stars. If I know the surroundings of a character, it would perhaps be easier for the reader to accept that the character accepts her death so easily.

I guess I'm going to read the sequel (I'm guessing there will be one with that kind of ending), but I can't say I'm going to buy it. I'll probably go to a library to read it, or swap it with another blogger.

Rating





Buy it here

1 comment:

  1. The story moves incredibly quickly, and will keep readers engaged from beginning to end. And even though this story may be centered around a dark subject that is treated with humor, it has an uplifting side, too, showing that redemption is possible, that not everything is hopeless and that being selfless can have positive results.

    This is a story not to be missed by readers who love books with a wicked sense of humor, an enormously inventive storyline and a refreshing look at life after death.

    ReplyDelete

I do not accept awards! I'm incredibly busy with college, blogging and reading, I just don't have the time to pass them around. But I'm happy you thought of me!