Tuesday, November 22, 2011

[Review] Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

Description

Title: Bloodlines
Author: Richelle Mead
Pages: 421
Series: Bloodlines #1
Publisher: Razorbill
Date of Publication: August 23, 2011
Source: Bought
Synopsis: (from Goodreads)
The first book in Richelle Mead's brand-new teen fiction series - set in the same world as Vampire Academy.  When alchemist Sydney is ordered into hiding to protect the life of Moroi princess Jill Dragomir, the last place she expects to be sent is a human private school in Palm Springs, California. But at their new school, the drama is only just beginning. Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, Bloodlines explores all the friendship, romance, battles and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive - this time in a part-vampire, part-human setting where the stakes are even higher and everyone's out for blood.


Bloodlines Series
1. Bloodlines
4. The Fiery Heart
5. Untitled
6. Untitled


My Thoughts


When Last Sacrifice ended I was less than thrilled with the results. I mean, sure I was happy that Rose was not executed or something of the sort. However, the whole Dimitri business did just not sit well with me. I totally admit it: I'm an Adrian Fan through and through. So obviously I had to read Bloodlines, since it promised more of Adrian.

It did give me that. I think Adrian seems a lot more mature than what I was used to (well, considering what happened it's not that surprising) and I have to be honest: He made this book. For me at least. I don't think I would have continued reading it, especially with all the confusion in the beginning. I kept thinking that I had maybe forgotten something from Last Sacrifice because it was so confusing.

I didn't like the concept of Alchemists in Vampire Academy. To me, it felt like they were introduced because Rose needed some help. By now, their purpose and the way they do what they do is refined enough to consider it believable. But it still kind of bugs me they were introduced that late. 

On top of that, I didn't like Sydney, neither in Vampire Academy nor in Bloodlines. Jill continously annoyed me with whatever she did, and that showed the fact that she is related to Lissa the most in my opinion. Lissa annoyed me a lot, too. 

Still, four stars. Why? Well. I did tear though this one, I wanted to know what would happen, and I did not guess the plot at all I have to say. Especially the later part. It seems to be a definite strength of Mead, her plotting. I think what I missed most was Rose. She was there briefly, but her Ooomph was just missing.

Rating

Buy it here

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you really like it. I think I need to finish VA series first before I can read this one.

    Jay @ We Fancy Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. i still haven't finished vampire academy serie so i guess i can wait but i'm still interested. Do you thing it can be read without having read or finished reading VA ?

    thanks you for your review

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jay
    Yes, I think you should read the series before reading Bloodlines :D

    @Miki
    Well, I suppose it could be read without haveing read VA. But I strongly recommend reading VA first, mostly because Bloodlines spoils the ending :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vampire Academy series is 1 of my favorites. Rose is an amazing character. I read Bloodlines & i liked it, but I agree that more of Rose would have made it better. However I am so happy Adrian is part of this series. Looking forward to book 2.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing how well Richelle is doing

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this book. Even though I wasn't into Adrian in the Vampire Academy series, I liked him much better in Bloodlines. I guess it's b/c I'm a big Dimitri fan and didn't want Adrian with Rose. I wish I could see more of Rose in this book but I guess it's important for other characters to shine. I can't wait for the next book especially with the twist at the end of Bloodlines!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jewel
    Exactly! Mine too :) Vampire Academy was actually one of the first series I really really liked after Harry Potter (with a brief ... distraction called Twilight *cough*)

    @Craig
    That's what I thought, too, recently when I saw almost all of her books on one shelf. Crazy :D But a good kind :)

    @nodizzies
    Well, I liked Dimitri, too. But I always thought that Adrian had more layers :D To each their own I suppose. I just really hope the "twist" will be something that I will like, because otherwise I might be a little disappointed in the series ^^'

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your review,

    I felt a bit cheated after reading last sacrifice,

    what's going to happen to Robert? Mark? Oksana?

    regards,

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always wanted to get this but now only I realised that it comes from the same author of Vampire Academy ! :P It's quite late to realise but I am still looking forward to reading it as well as Vampire Academy !

    ReplyDelete
  10. The book is on my to read list for some time now and I'm going to start it very soon! I hope I like it because I loved the VA series!
    Great review.

    ReplyDelete

I do not accept awards! I'm incredibly busy with college, blogging and reading, I just don't have the time to pass them around. But I'm happy you thought of me!